Jeep News & Rumors
Grabbing the spotlight from...
Grabbing the spotlight from the rest of the Jeep fam.
• A third shift will be added to the Jefferson North Assembly plant for Grand Cherokee production. Why?
• The answer is because of what we mentioned in our last issue: A diesel Grand is coming to North America in 2013. The foreign Grand has a 3.0L.
• Headline: “Special Report: America’s Hottest Brands.” Source: Advertising Age. Brand: Jeep Wrangler. Why?
• The answer is partly due to the number crunching by Automotive News, which showed Jeep is up 44 percent in 2011 through the month of October, with the Wrangler being the best-selling Jeep vehicle in the U.S. in that same time span.
• Speaking of Automotive News pooping out numbers, this one is a doosey of a twosy: Jeep outsold GMC last year, giving Jeep its second win this century over GMC (2006 was the last time).
Dummy and smeared greasepaint...
Dummy and smeared greasepaint only means one thing: protected by side airbag.
• The Patriot was named a winner of the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety 2012 Top Safety Picks. It had the optional side torso airbags.
• Ward’s Auto reported that the Mopar JK-8 kit that allows you to turn a Wrangler Unlimited into a pickup for a mere $5,499 has blown the roof off whatever you blow the roof off when people are buying up kits like crazy. Mopar expected to sell only 200 to 300 units, but dealers ordered 400. Does no one at Jeep read Jp magazine to know a pickup was what everyone has always wanted? Because then you wouldn’t be so surprised.
• Our sister magazine, Four Wheeler, anointed the Wrangler Rubicon winner of its 2012 Four Wheeler of the Year competition. Former Jp Editor Cappa, who is now Four Wheeler’s editor, released some politically correct statement about the win that we refuse to regurgitate here. It’s like we don’t even know him anymore. He probably has a suit on under the T-shirt and jeans.
• Oh no they didn’t—why exactly is there a rumor about naming that new Fiat-y Jeep SUV “Cherokee,” and will that stay a rumor?
Quote Without Story
“The decision we made clearly demostrates the confidence we have in the Toledo Assembly Complex, in its future, and, moreover, in the commitment and quality of work of the people who work here. It also reinforces the special relationship between Chrysler and the City of Toledo. We have deep roots in this community.”
—Sergio Marchionne, Chair/CEO Chrysler Group, referring to an investment and additional shift for the Toledo Assembly Complex in Ohio
• Crate axles from Dana! That’s right—from spindle end to spindle end, with full carrier, housing, and gearing, coming to the aftermarket. Dana 30, 40, 60, 70, and 80 axles will be available, with Spicer components and for a variety of ratios. Check out crateaxle.com
• Auto Meter has bought ProParts (it makes hi-po sensors, controllers, and instrumentation).
• Toyota is behind a $3 million grant going toward preserving public lands and parks. The money is headed for the National Environmental Education Foundation.
New injection coming to the...
New injection coming to the GM small- block.
• GM will intro a fifth-generation small-block with a new direct-injection fuel system, equaling a higher compression ratio and better fuel economy over previous engines. The Gen-V will retain the 4.4-inch bore centers.
• Nitto has more than one million Facebook fans. Ahem, is there a reason why some of you people still haven’t headed to the Jp mag Facebook page and liked us?
Reader Quote Without Story*
Get mpg, throttle position,...
Get mpg, throttle position, and throttle too.
• While on iTunes checking out our very own Jp mag app (check it out: news, reviews, stories, calculators, and oodles more related stuff), we spotted the OBIE app, which lets you nab real-time boost, intake-air temp, oil temp, rpm, timing, and tons more through the OBD-II port.
• Looks like Costco might now become your source not only for packs of 75,000 AAA batteries, but also for a 15 percent discount on parts, labor, and accessories for those who hit up dealerships participating in the program.
• What is parkatmyhouse.com? A way to possibly make cash by renting out your driveway. It’s already alive and well in the UK.
• You know that dude Will.I.Am from the Black-Eyed Peas? No? Don’t.Sweat.It. He’s starting a car company that will be called IAMAUTO.
• The Detroit Bureau reported that a survey by the Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Association found that pretty much 7 out of 10 Japanese-badged vehicles sold in the U.S. in 2011 were produced on an assembly line in North America.
Who could ban anything about...
Who could ban anything about this?
• Will mobile phones be banned from use while driving—nationwide, hands-free or otherwise? Good luck with that, politicians.
• The DuPont Automotive Color Popularity Report, which reviews global trends, found that white and silver tied for first place in paint choice by consumers.
Wrangler Action Camper
For just 36.600 Euro (around $46K), der Jeep JK Unlimited Action Camper can be yours. From Thaler Design in Austria (actioncamper.com/camper), an online translator app informed us that the camper description noted, “The equipment is inconceivably spacious and to experience with all equipped around a comfortable, unforgettable expedition in the remotest areas. Even with closed heave roof the inside height is enough to sleep during a sand storm, or to cook easy food.” And in case you’re wondering, the price of the Wrangler Action Camper does not include the Wrangler.
Things To Do With Your Jeep
• April 1-April 8:
Moab Easter Jeep Safari hosted by Red Rock 4-Wheelers, Moab, Utah, rr4w.com
• April 2: Easter Safari for First Timers hosted by Badlands Off-Road Adventures, Moab, Utah, 4x4training.com
• April 3: 2nd Annual Moab Barbecue hosted by Quadratec, Moab Area High School, Moab, Utah, quadratec.com
• April 12-14: Cajun Jeep Jamboree, hosted by Jeep Jamboree USA, St. Francisville, Louisiana, jeepjamboreeusa.com
• April 14-15: 4 Wheel Parts Truck and Jeep Fest Show, hosted by 4 Wheel Parts and Puyallup Fairgrounds, Puyallup, Washington, thefair.com; 4wheelparts.com
• April 21: Getting Started Off-Road Driving hosted by Badlands Off-Road Adventures, Hungry Valley SVRA, Gorman, California, 4x4training.com
• April 22: Advanced Beginner Off-Road Driving hosted by Badlands Off-Road Adventures, El Paso Mountains, Mojave, California, 4x4training.com
• April 25-28: Tennessee Mountains Jeep Jamboree hosted by Jeep Jamboree USA, Oak Ridge, Tennessee, jeepjamboreeusa.com
• April 25-29: Jeep Beach, hosted by South Florida Jeep Club, Daytona Beach, Florida, sfjc.wordpress.com
• April 26-28: Arch Canjoy Jeep Jamboree hosted by Jeep Jamboree USA, San Juan County, Utah, jeepjamboreeusa.com
• April 28: 4th Annual Virginia Willys Jeep Thing hosted by the Etterick-Matoaca Historical Society, Knox Springs Farm, 21100 Halloway Avenue, Matoaca, VA, firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-748-7551
Want people to know about your club event? Follow the format below to increase your chances of your announcement appearing here in Jp. Feel free to provide a high-resolution photo related to the event (make it a minimum of 1600x1200 pixels or two megapixels in EPS or TIFF, or a maximum-quality JPEG).. You can snail mail info to Jp magazine, Things to Do With Your Jeep, 831 S. Douglas St., El Segundo, CA 90245, or e-mail email@example.com (make the subject line “Things to Do With Your Jeep”).
• Name of event
• Name of host club
• Date of event
• Location of event (venue/trail and city, state)
• Website or phone number you want listed in the magazine